Monday, August 13, 2007

When did patients become the bad guy?

I swear, it seems like there is something in the water here--or maybe it's just a change of times--but I am so tired of being talked down to and treated like dirt from people in the medical profession. There are a few good ones in town that do not fall under this category, mind you. However, today I was once again reminded of why I really dislike the one NP at BMC's GI dept.

Before my appt. this morning, I called the GI dept. to make sure they had all of my test results from my biopsy last week. The last thing I wanted to do was have a repeat session of NP B having a semi-fit because she couldn't "access" any of my results. The gal I talked to was able to find out that while the biopsy stuff hadn't been finalized yet, they could at least get a verbal to the doctor. So off I went. When NP B came in she started off by immediately saying, "I don't have your liver biopsy results yet." Sensing what was coming I very politely informed her of what I was told this morning as I figured it was possible she did not know about the verbal info.

"You didn't let me finish!" she retorted in one of the rudest tones I have heard. I apologized to her, though not nicely I might add. "You interrupted me!" she berated again. Once again I apologized as she walked out of the room. By this point I was so ready to leave and seething inside. I should note that I can put up with bitchiness and even rudeness to quite an extreme--but this was just assinine. NO ONE deserves to be talked to this way. Especially by someone who is supposed to have your well-being in their hands. The one thing that kept me glued to my seat was wanting to know the test results. Looking back I should've just walked out.

Finally she returned and had to get another jab in at me, "What I was trying to tell you before you cut me off," and proceeded to inform me that my biopsy results as of right now show no significant signs of liver disease. This is, obviously, good news. With that however, she informed me that she was going to be referring me back to my GP. Why?? My GP doesn't specialize in GI issues. Regardless of whether or not I have cirrhosis at this point in time does not negate the fact that something is going on with my liver. So of course we went back and forth on this issue. Her negating that I even have Alpha-1, me asking her to stake her reputation on it (her of course refusing to do that...surprise, surprise), she saying that I probably have Fatty Liver (hello...I weigh 135 and you said I had anorexia, so where's the poor diet and obesity associated with Fatty Liver??), and so it went. NP B asked how my biopsy went. When I told her all she said was, "oh." No, "How are you doing now?," or "I'm sorry you went through that," or "That seems odd, maybe we should discuss/note this,"--nothing. Just "oh." Lovely lady, really.

I tried to nail her down on a diagnosis or something. She then stated that some of her patients just have an enlarged liver and elevated liver enzymes for no reason. Well, fine, if that's me then what? What do we do? Couldn't get an answer for that one. NP B did her typical, "I don't have your (insert specific test here) result," deal but when I promptly opened my very large binder containing almost all of my lab work and offered her a copy of it she'd either magically find said test result or pretended as if she didn't hear me.

Eventually she left to get me some samples of some pills for my reflux. I could hear her complaining about me to the doctor and lo an behold, she comes back without any pills but with Dr. H on her heels. By this point I've already shut down. I'm so tired of conflicting reports (more below), arguing, and out and out arrogance and rudeness that I just don't care anymore. Dr. H goes on to say how my liver biopsy stuff looks good thus far, no signs of Alpha-1 in the liver but they sent out some samples so maybe there might be, and that the right lobe of my liver is enlarged...not the left. He tells me that I have a congenital defect that I've had since birth. Oh this gets laughable here. For one, according to the CT done back in March of 2006, my liver was normal. Other CT's I've had have never stated that my liver was enlarged at all, nor did it ever state that the right lobe is larger than the left. But in 2007 the CT now shows enlargement. So riddle me this, good doc, why was it fine a year ago and now not so fine? Wouldn't you know I didn't think about this until after the appt., so I didn't get to ask him. I did ask if having this congenital defect would cause pain. "No, typically you never know you have it." he says. So why am I in pain? No answer there. What about all my other symptoms? According to them it's most likely not related to my liver. Okay, I give them that one...maybe. With the arthritis issues there is bound to be some overlapping crap going on, but give me a break. Some of the stuff I'm going through is well-tied to the liver.

Lab tests were brought up and it sounds like they are only aware of two abnormal liver panels. I have more than that. I offer these to NP B--she walks away like she didn't hear me.

In the end I walk out with samples of pills for reflux, a follow-up appt. in 3 wks. (soooo canceling that one), and basically ready to give up. This is the only GI practice in my town and I have no faith in them whatsoever. My plan is to wait until my results are back, get copies of everything, and plan on seeing Dr. Z up at Portland when my time comes.

Re: conflicting radiology reports--confusion abounds here for me. As I stated earlier, the CT in '06 said nothing of a cyst nor enlargement. The CT I had back in June said that the cyst in my liver was unchanged from the scan showing it originally done in 2006. So it was there in '06, the radiologist just either didn't see it or think it was significant enough to put in his report. Then you fast forward to last week and again there is no mention of the cyst. Did it disappear? Did the radiologist not see it? Did he see it but not put it in the report? How can I trust any of these people? You would think that the radiologist from last week would've looked for the cyst and then put in the report, "Cyst gone" or something to that effect. Instead I'm left to wonder 1.) if there really ever was a cyst, 2.) if there was, is it gone?, or 3.) is it still there but not being noted?

Cherry on top? Ryan's car got keyed this weekend. Maybe from one of the neighbors as they seem to hate us for no apparent reason. And the dog pissed in her crate while I was at the doctor's. I'm so close to going insane.

No comments: