Sunday, April 22, 2007

My daughter's bed

Today, while drinking my favorite cappuccino, I went into my daughter's room where she was sitting on her bed. I sat down with her and we talked. Talked about things such as what color we should paint her room this spring, and if she liked the idea of my building a bookshelf/toy box/window seat combo thingymabob for her, and where all the pictures she had on her walls had come from. Our youngest dog Kya came in and we invited her up on the bed with us. The weather was gloomy today so the bed was more than cozy. Megan and I lovingly stroked Kya and discussed more girly stuff. My son Ian came in and joined us on the bed. He went into great detail about the wolf picture he had drawn freehand and given to Megan (as she's a huge wolf fan) and I remarked that he should be very proud of it (as it is an amazing drawing). I went and got my old drawings out from our bedroom and brought them into Megan's where I returned to my spot on the bed. We slowly flipped through each one and I told them the backstory of the picture. Both kids complimented them all as if they were true works of art. My husband came in a few times and smiled, joked around a bit, and then left us to our peaceful states again. We laughed, we talked, we bonded and in doing so I realized that even if I can't always physically do things with them, there are little things that I hope they'll remember and that will mean the world to them.

Like sitting on the bed on a cold spring day talking about everything and nothing and just being together. I had not felt that good in a long time and I won't soon forget it. I hope they don't either.

No comments: