Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Next stop...lungs

After emailing Dr. B (the pulmo) back and forth a few times, it was decided that I should see Dr. J since Dr. B couldn't get me in until Feb. On New Years Eve I made the trek down south to Oregon City to meet the endearing Dr. J. Like my rheumy, Dr. J was very thorough...starting from when I was a small child and leading all the way up until present day, we went over all the weird things I have. At various points in the conversation, Dr. J had to stop and laugh as a new diagnosis was presented. I'll admit that it's quite overwhelming listing everything I have/have had. And amusing to a degree as well. I mean, come on, who the hell has all of this crap?! He asked several questions, did an exam, and ordered a CT scan of my chest along with a pulmonary function test. Depending on what those show I may have to come back and get a Methacholine Challenge test. In the meantime, I was given a Peak Flow Meter to measure my breathing in between all of this. The first day I used it the highest it went was 350. Yesterday I got it up to 410. Normal for someone my age and height is roughly 480.

My CT and lung function test is scheduled for the 10th of this month. The methacholine is on the 18th, I think. Or maybe that's my follow-up appt. I'm too tired to go get my reminder.

Other than not being able to take a deep breath, still being sore, and utterly exhausted, I'm hanging in there. I had a horrible bout of what we think was food poisoning the week before Christmas. That was one of the worst things I have ever gone through. Luckily no one else got sick, hence why we think it was food poisoning instead of something viral, but it took me about a week to feel even halfway normal. The odd thing is that I haven't gone back on the Questran and haven't needed to. I'm almost afraid to say that in case I jinx it. :o) My exertion headaches seem to be gone as well. I did get another bad one at the base of my skull yesterday so I may mention them to the pulmo when I see him since he seemed concerned about them.

No comments: