Monday, November 19, 2007

Just breathe

Today I ventured up the hill to OHSU to see Dr. B, my ortho. He's such a nice man. Very warm, listens, and isn't full of himself. I did luck out with the orthos, didn't I?! Anyways, so just like Dr. A told me, Dr. B also said there isn't much more the ortho docs can do for me. I pretty much figured that going in, yet wanted to hear it from his mouth as well so that I knew I'd exhausted all options. Dr. B did bring up fusion surgery but reiterated that it was not something he either did, or recommended. Said he'd have to be in a world of hurt to even consider having it done if it were him. I have no desire to even think about that at this time and hopefully never will.

Diagnosis-wise we're back to the spondylarthropy. He feels that is highly likely and definitely wants me to continue seeing a rheumy. I was given two names and Dr. B said he'd refer me to one. I need to check w/the insurance folks first and check on coverage. So annoying. One thing he did do for me is to measure my chest expansion. I guess this can give an indication as to how my lungs are doing. I thought for sure he'd say all was good but nope...I'm about half of what I should be for someone my age and physical condition. I've been researching some about the "test" itself and it keeps coming back associated with Ankylosing Spondylitis. Ugh. I really liked thinking that wasn't an option. I guess we'll see what the rheumy up here thinks.

Breathing...man I wish I could breathe normally. For the past few weeks it's just gotten worse and I don't think it has to do w/the weather or allergies. Man I hope I'm wrong! The fact that my chest isn't expanding like it should could mean that my lungs are messed up because of the A1AD or it could mean my ribs/chest are fusing. Or maybe I'll get lucky and it will be something simple. I wish, I wish, I wish! Simple would be oh so nice right about now. Simple and curable! Even as I just sit here it feels like there is a huge weight on my chest making it difficult to take in a full breath. I did call Dr. B's (the pulmonologist) office and left a message for him to let him know what Dr. B (the ortho) said. Man, this is getting confusing, isn't it? All the Dr. B's and A's. Forgive me for wanting to keep some things private.

My exertion headaches are still lingering and also becoming more and more prevalent. I am wondering if it has anything to do with my shortness of breath. It would make sense...and could be easily fixed (or so I hope). I feel a little lost out here at times. As much as I bitched about certain doctors in Bend, I was at least established with them, and could get in to see them. Out here I'm starting almost completely over. At times that's okay and hopeful. At other times it's both frustrating and a little scary. Especially when it comes to things like these headaches. They do worry me. And the breathing. I'm not sure that I can hold out like this for another three months.

Oh, and my left thumb joint flared up recently. Very painful and right when I was getting back into knitting. Couple that with my right wrist that is still screwed up, my poor hands are practically useless. I meant to ask Dr. B about my right arm at my appt. and forgot. When I got home I was moving my KitchenAid stand mixer and the thing tipped putting all of its weight onto my right wrist. That was so not fun. Poor thing is never going to heal.

No comments: