Thursday, June 28, 2007

And we wait

I saw Dr. A for my bone stuff on Monday and we agreed that getting my liver issues under control first and THEN dealing w/the pain from my SI Joints was the best course of action. Although it's not fun having pain in that area in addition to everything else, I'd rather focus on one thing at a time.

After that visit I headed over to Dr. B's office to pick up my liver CT report. Imagine my surprise when he came out and called me back into a little room. He said that he wanted me to see my GP a.s.a.p. and that my liver had been enlarged at my last CT (in '06). This was news to me! So I headed over to St. Charles to pick up my lab reports from that visit to the ER last year and low and behold my liver enzymes were elevated then too. I remembered the doc at the ER mentioning this and acting like it was odd to him. I chalked the levels being up to my gall bladder behaving badly. I guess that wasn't the case. Another new development is that I have a small cyst in my liver that was there last year too. Go figure.

The next day I saw my GP, Dr. R. There is conflicting reports as to whether or not my liver has actually been enlarged for over a year, or if Dr. B misread the report. Part of me wouldn't be surprised if the radiologist that read the CT back in March of 2006 thought, "Eh, it's borderline enlarged but not enough to mention it," (something Dr. R said was possible) as there was no mention of the cyst in my report either. And according to the radiologist that read this latest CT, it's been there since last year. Dr. R also theorized that Dr. B whipped out his trusty measuring tape and actually measured my liver to compare it himself. I'll let you pick because at this point I haven't a clue. Dr. R sent a note over to the GI dept. at BMC and hoped I would be seen within a week. We discussed the Alpha-1 issue and she gladly ordered the Phenotype test for me. I waited a bit, got poked, and left.

On Wed., Dr. R's nurse called to let me know that the soonest the GI folks could get me in wouldn't be until July 12th. I'm apparently also on the "cancellation list" which I know doesn't mean shit because no one's gonna cancel their appointment unless they're dying. And even then I bet they show up. Today I got the paperwork for my GI appt. and wouldn't you know it...I got the doctor that I was told, "Stay away from! She's an idiot!" Fabulous! I'm torn...keep the appt. and just give her a shot, or try to switch it now.

The waiting sucks though. The lab tech seemed to think I'd get the results back by the end of this week. I'm not betting on that.

As a side note, Dr. B wanted me to stay on the Gabapentin but I haven't gotten back on it yet. I have had so much stuff to do that I didn't want to chance dealing w/diarrhea again. Could've been the CT contrast...or the Gabapentin...or both. I'll wait to find out.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Oh Lord! What a roller coaster you've been on, Louie. I am praying that you'll get answers and that the Dr's can all agree on it. I also am praying that your pain is less today and every day...or at least at a manageable level. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this. I can't even begin to imagine what a toll this has taken on you physically and emotionally.

Sounds like something retail therapy at the LYS is needed. :)

~Laura~ said...

Oh thank you, Beth! I just saw your comment--how is your dad?? How are you?!

YES, retail therapy does wonders but I am so tired these days that I haven't knit anything. :o(